7.26.2009

sisters

I am an only child.

No, I really am. It may come as a surprise to many people - but I have no blood sisters, no blood brothers - no stepbrothers, no stepsisters. I was spoiled, until my Dad remarried. I am an only child. Yup.

I'm often jealous of those that have siblings - they share a special bond together - even if they hate each other. I find myself longing for a sister. or a brother. I watch my husband and his brother interact - and it may not always be happy-joy, but at least they have each other.

However, I loved being an only child - I got all of the attention, and I didn't have to share! If I had secrets to share, I'd share them with my dog, Chips. He was a great listener.

What does this have to do with anything? I had a surprise revelation this past week. I had to go the hospital for yet another test. They were putting me under, so I couldn't drive, and I had to have someone take me. Therefore, I asked my friend, K. I've known K since I was 6. We grew up together, went to school together, stood up in each other's weddings, etc. She has 2 other sisters, B and B. I'm friends with all of them. I went to college with one of the B's and she was in my wedding too.

So, K is in the prep room with me. She's keeping me calm, chatting, gossiping, keeping my mind off of the needle in my arm and the impending drug-induced unconsciousness that I will soon be experiencing.

K needs to leave the room for a minute, and she says something to another nurse about her sister. Then I realize...

She. Is. Talking. About. Me.

And I smiled.

I have a sister. I have SISTERS. This small insignificant revelation meant more to me than you can imagine.

The 4 of us have shared alot. I've lived with them, held their hands, dried their tears, laughed, cried, held their hair while puking, consoled them, and they are the closest thing I have to real sisters. I am sometimes called "the 4th sister". and now, I realize that I am one of the luckiest people in the world to have such awesome "sisters".

Love you guys!!!

1 comment:

Heather said...

You have some very special friends. They are a nice bunch of girls those "K" girls :)