12.23.2008

Lefse. It's a Norwegian Thing

For as long as I can remember, my family makes lefse on holidays. It is a time consuming, tedious and MESSY event. but the end result is well worth it. I simpy love lefse. I am making some for Xmas dinner...and Little Joe decided to help me.





Here it is...on the griddle.



The finished product...colling under a fleeceless towel.



This year, I tried a new recipe, as my Aunt Pat's recipe just hasn't turned out very well for me in the past few years. Here is the new recipe I tried: (which turned out GREAT!!)




lefse from scratch
Ingredients


6 cups riced or mashed russet potatoes (I put mine through the food processor)

1 tsp. salt

3 T. margarine or butter

1 T. Sugar

2 T. heavy cream or evaporated milk

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions
Combine all ingredients except flour; refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.


Add flour; mix well.


Heat griddle to 400 degrees.


Roll small portions (walnut/golf ball size) into a small ball.


Roll out very thin with cloth-covered lefse or regular rolling pin on cloth-covered board or other surface. Dust board with flour when turning lefse dough.


Bake on ungreased griddle until brown spots appear. Flip and bake other side. Stack lefse between 2 towels to cool. Store in refrigerator in plastic bags. Can be frozen.

And the best part???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know it's a great Christmas when even your Dad's Lefse came out well. Little Joe's video is a highlight too.