8.28.2009

Eggplants

I was able to get ONE eggplant out of my garden this summer. There are many flowers on the plants, but none of them are turning into fruit. So, I figure one is better than none, right?

I tried a GF recipe for eggplant parmigiana, but I completely changed it…because that’s what I do. I cut the eggplant into thick slices, liberally salted them, and then let them sit in the colander for an hour. After some of the bitter juice came out, I dried the slices with paper towel, and then coated them with a mixture of cornmeal, dried rosemary, dried oregano, garlic powder and S&P. No egg wash, no flour. Just dry. Then, I sautéed them in EVOO. Once crispy, I pulled them out and dried them on a paper towel. I also treated some thick sliced ripe tomatoes the same way. I then stacked the cooked eggplant, the cooked tomatoes slices, some fresh basil leaves, marinara sauce and cheese. I put the while stack in the oven so the cheese could melt…and then I enjoyed one of the most decadent homegrown GF meals I’ve had in a long time.

No comments: