4.07.2008

Coffee, Culture and Fishing

Oh. My. Gosh. I think I am in love. With a new coffee, that is. For those of you that know me – you also know that I am a coffee snob. I like my coffee dark, strong and smooth. No bitter crap for me. I tend to favor Caribou, because their Obsidian Roast is awesome – and I usually drink coffee with just a little bit of half and half. However, this morning, I was craving coffee, and Joseph was thirsty. (I had allowed him to bring a bowl of Golden Grahams Cereal in the car, with no milk.) so – we stopped at McD’s. And, commercial advertising got the best of me. They had this beautiful picture of a creamy latte something-or-other…so, I caved. I ordered a small non-fat sugar-free vanilla latte. I wasn’t expecting anything great – just a caffeine beverage. I got a chocolate milk for Joseph, because I’m such a great mom.

I let the coffee cool a bit – as I didn’t want to scald my mouth – and took a sip about 20 minutes later. And fell in love. It’s almost a dessert coffee – not dark or anything, but very sweet. Certainly not like my typical taste in coffee. I would have liked a plain scone to go with it. It’s much better than gas station coffee, but I still don’t consider it real “coffee”. But, as a standby, or an emergency, I could drink it. It might also be good for a accompaniment to a long nighttime drive. Or maybe a treat instead of a cookie. So many possibilities.

So – here in Detroit, they have this program called “Museum Adventure Pass”.
You can check out passes to many local cultural resources (museums, art houses, etc.) for free from the Library. And you have a week to go there. How cool is that? I’m hoping to check out all of them – the variety of what they have is amazing! And little Joe will have the experiences of so many different things. I imagine he won’t like some of them – but at least I’ll have shown him the different culture, and whatnot. Yeah me. Points for being a culturally-cool mom. :) Go check it out if you are in the area.

This weekend, the boys decided to try their hand at fishing in the Rouge River, which has a tributary at the end of our street, at the downstream end of the country club golf course. So – they disappeared for a few hours on Sunday – and…nothing. Not even a bite!! I’m hoping that it is because it is still chilly outside, and the fish just aren’t hungry! We’ve been fishing there before, and we have caught a few crappy fish, no trout or anything…but whatever. I think that the boy is certainly an outdoorsman!

All for now – I’ll have to let you know about the kitchen contest. No word yet!

No comments: