6.04.2009

another babbling blog post...

There are so many things I want to do right now. But where to start? I’m feeling overwhelmed (work is crazy right now, and I don’t know where to start). Eh. Lots on my mind. Nothing bad, but I can’t turn off my mind. Such is the life of a Mom. :)

On to my point of the day:

As Barbara Kingsolver, Steven Hopp and Camille Kingsolver note in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, it doesn’t take much of an effort to have a major impact. “If every U.S. Citizen ate just one meal a week (any meal) composed of locally and organically raised meats and produce, we would reduce our country’s oil consumption by over 1.1 million barrels of oil every week. That’s not gallons, but barrels”

Wow. That is amazing to me. I’m glad I have my own garden, and eat as much that I can out of my garden…but what about all of the other things we eat? The processed foods? The food from another state, much less another country? We use the venison that Joe gets every year, and I tend to not buy a lot of other meat at the store. I’ll buy a pork tenderloin form time to time, and some frozen chicken breasts…but maybe I really need to take a look at our food budget, and our food “locale” a little more. That, and see if my boys will eat some vegetables, rather than processed food. Hmmm...I'll have to work on that.

And here is a great link from the FREEP that talks about locals farmer's markets...
http://www.freep.com/article/20090604/FEATURES02/906040354

So? what does this mean to you? what are YOU going to change???

No comments: