3.09.2010

Breakfast from Heaven.

I made myself the most AMAZING breakfast today. I have to share...

Those of you who know me...know my passion for smoked salmon. (i.e. Gravlax or Lox). Not the dried out stuff...(though that does have it's uses). I LOVE the cured, raw-looking buttery melt in your mouth, salmon. I have yet to make it in my smoker...because I'm scared I'll ruin it. It is perfection...when done properly.
We have some AWESOME neighbors behind us that we share our garden bounty with during the summer. The husband is a foodie. Major foodie. He also has a smoker - and he has been smoking for much longer than me...and he can throw DOWN some awesome food. Including lox. LOX!!!! He makes his own LOX!!!

I stopped by their house on Sunday to drop off some things, and he hands me a package. I look in my hands...and I want to hug him. Fresh. Homemade. Smoked. Tender. Moist. Lox.

Hence....Breakfast today:

Oeufs en Cocotte with Lox:
1 Egg
1 Tablespoon Parmesan, Grated
1 oz. cream cheese, cubed
1 oz. Lox, Chopped Fine
½ Teaspoon Butter
handful chopped red onion
dollop of sour cream

Butter a small 4-oz ramekin.
Crack the egg into the buttered ramekin. Take care not to break the yolk.
Add the lox to the dish. Add the cream cheese to the dish.
Sprinkle the cheese, salt and pepper to the egg.
Bake in a water bath at 350 ยบ F until egg white is set, but the yolk is still runny or done to your liking. Baking takes approximately 12 – 15 minutes. Sprinkle red onion and sour cream on the top and enjoy!!

No comments: